The tour gives you the chance to enjoy many of the most amazing things Iceland has to offer – a great mixture of nature, history, and adventure.
The whole programme takes about 5–6 hours to complete (including pickup / drop off) in which time you will:
- Take a very scenic hike across a lava field, often compared to the surface of the moon
- Get to know a bunch of stuff about volcanoes and volcanic activity in Iceland
- Enjoy an amazing view of Reykjavík and the Reykjanes peninsula
- Get your adrenaline pumping
- Have a very, very, very close encounter with a volcano
- Taste a delicious traditional Icelandic meat soup or vegetable soup. In fact, you can have as much of it as you want
- Hopefully, leave with a life-long memory of a unique and distinct Icelandic travel experience
When you arrive at our meeting point, which is a ski cabin, you will check in with our guide there. The guide will meet and greet you at the cabin, before leading the way across the lava field. Click here for everything you need to know about the hike.
After arriving on location, your group will be informed about all safety procedures. For example, how to behave in the crater. You will be wearing a helmet and harness. The group is then split into a smaller party of 6–7 people. The trips up and down take about 6 minutes each and the first ones to go down will be the first ones to go up.
You will spend about half an hour on the ground of the volcano, in which time you can take as many photos as you want. However, you are not allowed to take rocks and stones from the crater. Expert guides will be with you at all times, in the cable lift and on the ground in the magma chamber.
When you are back on the surface, while waiting for everyone in the group to complete the volcano visit, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a traditional Icelandic meat soup or vegetable soup, hot coffee/tea/chocolate and perhaps some sweets.
Finally, you will walk back over the lava field. And again, you will be accompanied by a guide at all times. The bus will be waiting for you in the parking lot, ready to drive you back to Reykjavik.